Woodend Bowling and Lawn Tennis Club
Bowling Section COVID 19 Update
Return To Bowls – Phase 1 UPDATE
Thursday 28th May 2020
On Thursday 28th May 2020, the Scottish First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon, confirmed the extension to public health exercise guidelines to include outdoor sporting activity, including Lawn Bowls, commencing on the Friday 29th May. The Bowling Committee have agreed to open the green from Saturday 30th May 2020.
Following our post last week Bowls Scotland have provided updated guidance for clubs and we have amended our Bowls Section Club Guidance as follows;
The main areas of information that have been updated are:
- People aged 70 and over can play but should follow Scottish Government guidelines
to make their own decision about returning to the green
• Spectators can attend in special circumstances such as if they are a carer or
accompanying under 16’s
• Travel Guidelines have been updated. Please follow the Scottish Government
To view these documents, please click here
The Bowling Committee have reviewed all of the details associated with the guidance
and recommendations associated with these documents. Our focus remains the health
and wellbeing of our members and ensuring their safe return to the green.
The Club Facilities WILL REMAIN CLOSED throughout this period and all Bowlers
wishing to play MUST collect their Bowls from the Club House on the evening of
Friday 29th May 2020 between 6:30pm and 8:30pm. All players will be provided with 2
mats and a jack for their continued use during this period. DO NOT SHARE
EQUIPMENT WITH ANYONE OUTSIDE YOUR HOUSEHOLD. Be advised that there
will be NO COMMUNAL EQUIPMENT AVAILABLE AT THE CLUB DURING THIS
To collect your equipment, you MUST book one of these 10 minute slots and should
Call Tom Hamilton on 07763 148179 to organise. Subject to demand future controlled
access arrangement’s will be advised.
Rinks 1, 3 and 5 will be closed from Saturday 30th May 2020. The Rinks will be
available for a minimum of 1 hour session with 30 minutes between sessions for
change over. A maximum of two sessions can be booked at any one time.
To Book your Session call Tom Hamilton on 07763 148179 between 12noon and 2pm
or between 6pm and 8pm or Text anytime on the same number. Your booking request
must include the name of all participants, your contact details and emergency contact
details. Your rink and time will be confirmed, and a Booking Schedule will be on display
at the club and on the Club Website under “Calendar” on the Home Page
RINKS MUST BE BOOKED FOR TIME SLOTS TO BE ALLOCATED.
DO NOT TURN UP WITHOUT PRE BOOKING YOUR SESSION.
Further updates will be shared during the coming weeks, so please keep an eye on
You will also notice some changes to the setup at the club when you arrive for play that have been implemented for the safety of all members. Please note the club and associated facilities will remain closed during this period of restricted play.
ALL PLAYERS MUST BRING THEIR OWN HAND SANITISER AND REGULARLY CLEAN THEIR HANDS BEFORE, DURING AND AFTER PLAY.
We have listed below the changes that will be in operation when bowling recommences at Woodend. As these arrangements will evolve and be subject to change in the coming weeks and months we ask that you refer to the Bowling Section of the website, social media and future emails. This will ensure you are aware of the most up to date rules and guidelines going forward.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact Tom Hamilton (07763148179) firstname.lastname@example.org or Sandy Clark (07935 146232) email@example.com
Look after yourself and each other and please observe the guidelines.
The Bowling Committee
Guidelines for Return To Bowls – Phase 1 at Woodend BLTC (UPDATED)
(commencing Saturday 30th May 2020)
Guidance for Players:
- Players who have COVID-19 symptoms or if anyone in their household that displays symptoms, those players should stay at home and follow NHS guidance.
- No one who is self-isolating should attend the club.
- If a player/s are deemed at a higher risk and have health issues they should remain at home until Scottish Government guidelines change.
- People aged 70 and over can play but should follow Scottish Government guidelines to make their own decision about returning to the green
- Players who are shielding should not attend the club.
- Players should check the dates and times when the greens are open for play. This will be available via the Clubs Website from Friday 29th May 2020.
- Players MUST go through the bowling section’s Phase 1 booking system and not just turn up to the green to play. More information will be released this week.
- Players should only play individually, with members of their own household or between members of two households where social distancing can be maintained.
- Spectators can attend in special circumstances such as if they are a carer or
accompanying under 16’s
- Players should not consume alcohol before, during or after play at the club and smoking at the green should be discouraged
- Players should not attempt to enter the club house as these facilities, including the toilets, hall, bar and kitchen, WILL REMAIN CLOSED.
- Players should follow the ‘Guidance for Bowling Activity’ section set out below.
- Players travelling to Woodend should do so in line with the Scottish Government Travel/Transportation Guidelines E.g. It is permitted to travel short distances for outdoor leisure and exercise but advised to stay within a short distance of your local community and travel by walk, wheel and cycle where possible.
Guidance for Bowling Activity:
- Green Set Up Prior To Play
- The Club will ensure the green is fit for play
- Non on-essential equipment will be removed (2m Sticks, Score Boards, Chalk etc)
- Rink Markers for Rinks to Be Used will be retained.
- Benches will be sign-posted in such a way that members do not touch or use them.
- Players MUST bring their own hand sanitiser and use this throughout play.
- There MUST be one rink space (an empty rink) between each rink in use
- As a result, it is proposed to use Rinks 2, 4 and 6 for Play (across the green) and use Rinks 1,3 and 5 to maintain social distancing requirements.
- Before Play
- The Bowling Section will organise a system for booking and allocation of rink times that ensures the safety of Players.
- Booking slots will be a minimum of 1 hour in duration.
- The Club will allocate 30 minutes between booking slots to minimise the number of players arriving and leaving at any one time.
- The National Governing Organisation recommendations is for Singles only, the exception to this is where Pairs can be played between 2 household groups (maximum) or 4 players from the same household per rink at any one time and in accordance with Scottish Government requirements.
- For each session YOU MUST PROVIDE essential information/contact details for all players including emergency contact details.
- Limited essential access, for example to remove bowls, shoes, matts and jacks, will be allowed on the evening of Friday 29th May 2020 from 6:30pm to 8:30pm.
- Access will be in 10-minute slots and MUST BE PRE-BOOKED by contacting Tom Hamilton on 07763148179. A Master Key will be used to bring players bowls out.
- Players will be provided with two mats and one jack which they will be asked to retain for their personal use during the restricted play period.
- Members MUST return the mats and jack to clubhouse when the restrictions period is lifted.
- There will be NO ACCESS TO COMMUNAL EQUIPMENT.
- Arrival and Waiting To Play
- The clubhouse and locker room facilities will remain closed.
- At all times please keep a minimum of 2m apart from other members outside your household. This includes when accessing and egressing the green.
- Please arrive no earlier than 10 minutes prior to your start time and depart no later than 10 minutes after you finish.
- During Play
- Mats and Jacks
- Whichever player/household brings the mats and jack is responsible for all contact with the equipment before, during and after the game.
- It is the responsibility of each player/household to disinfect the mats and jacks prior to using for their next game.
- The mats and jacks must remain in the possession of that household until the restrictions period is over.
- A maximum of 4 people (1 Pairs Game) can play together. Pairs can be played between 2 household groups (maximum) or 4 players from the same household per rink at any one time and in accordance with Scottish Government requirements
- The 2m social distancing rule must always be observed on and off the green
- Bowls equipment cannot be shared between players (e.g. cloths, measures etc).
- Players should always practice safe hygiene.
- Players should not:
- Pick up any other players bowl that does not belong to you.
- Share equipment out with your rink- e.g. cloths, measures, etc
- Moisten their hands with saliva before delivery
- Shake hands, high-five or have any physical contact with other people on the green (out with their household)
- After Play
- Players must leave the premises immediately after conclusion of play, making sure they have sanitised their hands and taken all equipment with them.
The above guidance has been produced to allow a phased return to the outdoor lawn bowling greens of Scotland, where practice individually or games with members of your own household or between members of two households can take place.
These are difficult times for everyone, and particularly as we all adjust to these new rules and ways of operating at the club – please be kind helping others transition.
The following provides Useful Links to the relevant Guidance Documents;